Friday, December 9, 2011

Cycle of Frustration


 (This poem was one of my earliest poems, written in 1988 and became the title of my first poetry book)

When I was born
A white dove
Circled the sky above
While an armed guard
Stood outside my makeshift hut

When I was a child
I played fedayeeh
With the other children
And wondered when I will join
My father and older brother on a suicide mission

When I was a teenager
I was trained to be a soldier
While there was talk of
“Autonomy”, self-determination,
Confederation, international peace conference

When I was a young man
I avenged the massacre of
Deir Yassin in my own little way
My parents, two sisters and my younger brother
Were massacred in the Sabra refugee camp

When I was in my thirties
With all my frustrations brewing within me
I hijacked a plane
To free my older brother
From the enemy’s prison

When my child was born
A white dove
Circled the sky above
While an armed guard
Stood outside his makeshift hut




(  © Copyright, Fadi Zanayed.  Publication or distribution of this material is allowed provided its content is not altered and the source and its author are cited.)

No comments:

Post a Comment