Saturday, December 10, 2011

I Am A Jerusalemite


 
The darkness of the morning engulfs my spirit
Although the sun will undoubtedly rise
I will still be empty within my soul

I live in the land of the brave
Yet I feel feeble and without energy
As I long to break the restraints of freedom

I was born in the City of Peace
By birthright I should be able to live in its glory
Yet I am imprisoned outside its walls

A Jew born outside its holy sites
May absorb its beauty from within
And glorify God inside its blossom

I am a naturalized citizen of God’s City
Yet God is used to cleanse me away
To punish me because I am a Palestinian

I am a Jerusalemite within my spirit
My sun rises over my City of Peace
Beckoning me to return, to return, to return

Fadi Zanayed
December 10, 2011
5:56 am

(  © Copyright, Fadi Zanayed.  Publication or distribution of this material is allowed provided its content is not altered and the source and its author are cited.)

No comments:

Post a Comment